Sunday, July 22, 2012

Lockout (2012)

Lockout (2012)

Directed by: James Mather and Stephen St. Leger
Screenplay by: Stephen St. Leger, James Mather, and Luc Besson

Genre: Action | Thriller | Sci-Fi
Running Time: 95 Minutes (Unrated Cut)
MPAA Rating: Not Rated
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

Take no prisoners.

[IMDb]




Comments: In regards to Luc Besson, even his lesser films (which is a good portion of his work) are at least entertaining and a fun watch. Lockout, despite a familiar premise and little creativity outside of a jail in space, could have been so much more fun. While it's mildly entertaining, the overall missteps really drag the film down. I should be able to enjoy a movie about a guy blowing shit up in space more, dammit!

The film's first 45 minutes or so are incredibly disjointed. It feels like chunks of the movie were ripped out to shorten the runtime. Many times, I advocate for shorter films. In the case of Lockout, I could've taken a little more. Many of the characters' decisions make little sense, and all I could think about was how stupid this movie was.

Luckily, we settle in a little more toward the middle of Lockout. Maggie Grace and Guy Pearce have a pretty good chemistry together, and Pearce himself was hysterical when given the opportunity. I think that's what makes me so upset: this film could've been Pearce's Shoot 'Em Up, a complete throwaway that's nonetheless awesome as hell.

The ending is even more stupid than the first 45 minutes, and that effectively ruined the positive headway that "Saint and Mather" were making. I'm not too disappointed I picked the Blu-ray up on release week though, because it was mindless entertainment I that I could see myself revisiting again. For all others though, I think the term "rent" is most applicable.

No comments:

Post a Comment