Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

Directed by: Marc Webb
Screenplay by: James Vanderbilt, Alvin Sargent, and Steve Kloves

Genre: Action | Adventure | Fantasy | Thriller
Running Time: 136 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Viewed: Theater (2D)

The untold story begins.

[IMDb]




Comments: A lot of the early reviews I read for The Amazing Spider-Man asked what the point of rebooting the franchise so soon was. I wasn't too swayed by this, as I'm usually not against remakes. But when a film like The Amazing Spider-Man feels so similar to 2002's Spider-Man, I really have to join the chorus of reviewers asking "Why?"

There were parts of the film I dug. As a whole, I think the entire cast is better. Andrew Garfield, despite being almost thirty and playing a high school student (what the fuck?!) does a pretty solid job and avoids some of the goofiness that Tobey Maguire brought to the role. And I love Emma Stone in everything, so there were no complaints there. Similarly, Martin Sheen rules and I enjoyed him as Uncle Ben. I also liked how they portrayed Flash and didn't make Sally Field as annoying as Rosemary Harris' Aunt May. The fight scenes were really cool too, and I like how the camera moved as Spider-Man did at times, instead of just watching a giant blur onscreen.

But going back to my main point, the film feels so close in its tonality to the original Spider-Man, and that's a shame. In an era where superhero movies are grandiose and fantastically awesome, that same air or silliness that plagued Raimi's films applies to The Amazing Spider-Man. Everything feels so cheery at times, as not long after Uncle Ben's demise is Spider-Man hootin' and hollerin' and swinging around the streets. I know it's a tad cliched now for all superhero movies to be "darker," but a little more intensity could have helped The Amazing Spider-Man. For a character built on avenging a family member's death, there's not a lot despondency and sadness in our masked hero.

However, despite all of the issues, I still enjoyed the movie. If it wasn't so soon after the original trilogy and it didn't feel so damn similar, I'd mostly have good things to say about the film. I certainly wouldn't mind a sequel down the line too, so here's hoping to an improved Spider-Man in... 2015?

No comments:

Post a Comment