Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Breaking Bad - Season Two (2009)

Breaking Bad (2008-????)

Created by: Vince Gilligan

Season: Two (2009)
Genre: Crime | Drama | Thriller
Number of Episodes: 13
Episode Running Time: 60 Minutes
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

Unstable. Volatile. Dangerous. And that's just the chemistry.

[IMDb]




Comments: Let me say this first: Breaking Bad is a terrific show, completely deserving of the praise and fanfare it has received over the last few years. Th performances and writing are all top notch, and I totally understand many people stating this show is one of the greats. But there's a catch. For the life of me, I can't "get into" it. When one episode ends (unless there's a crazy cliffhanger), I have no burning desire to start the next episode immediately after. If there was a cliffhanger, I'd start the following episode, watch the first ten minutes or so, and then save the rest for another day. This is why it took me nearly TWO FUCKING MONTHS to watch thirteen episodes (Jesus, that does make me feel fucking pathetic). Does this make me a bad person with a horrible taste in TV? Possibly.

I really think the main reason I don't have a lasting connection to Breaking Bad is the characters. They're well-written, but I really don't like any of them. Walt started out as a doing a noble but illegal thing, but his actions toward certain characters (particularly in the twelfth episode of Season Two) and lack of visible care for his family makes me feel nothing for him. Jesse was on the right track to be the great anti-hero of the show, but he's such a bitch that it's hard to get behind him. And Skyler, well, she just fucking annoys me. (I was becoming a big fan of Hank's with the PTSD issues that plagued him, but he was barely in the last few episodes.) Many would argue that these characters aren't catered to typical television stereotypes, and I definitely agree. But I need at least one character that I give a shit about; that's what makes me come back every episode.

I have Seasons Three and Four on Blu-ray (naturally), and I think I'll be watching them soon. While I'm not addicted to the show (ha!), I do find it to be great television (despite my complaints). I have a few other things I want to watch first TV-wise (the second season of Workaholics, for example) but I'll be popping the third season in soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment