Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Batman: Year One (2011)

Batman: Year One (2011)

Directed by: Sam Liu and Lauren Montgomery
Screenplay by: Tab Murphy

Genre: Animation | Action | Crime
Running Time: 64 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Viewed: Owned DVD

[IMDb]






Comments: Batman: Year One was a decent enough DC animated film, though I was bothered by a few things. First: why? Year One felt very similar to Batman Begins at times. We've been over-saturated with Batman for the past several years, so the last thing I need is to see ANOTHER origin story that's quite similar to Christopher Nolan's version. Second: Ben McKenzie was a terrible choice to play the caped crusader. As a definite O.C. fanboy back in the day, and someone who has enjoyed Southland, I think he's a decent actor. But in Year One, it sounds like he's taking a shit while reading Batman's lines. It's really bad. I think if I hadn't known McKenzie before this, I wouldn't have had as much of a problem, but as it stands his voice acting is bad (luckily Bryan Cranston's Jim Gordon is solid). Third, and lastly: Only an hour long? Going back to my first gripe, what's the point? You are telling a story that's been told before, and I don't see a sequel being made anytime soon, which would hopefuly progress past the origin story and make Year One meaningful. So when the story ended so soon I was left thinking, "that's it?"

Despite my objections, I always enjoy watching Batman related stuff so I enjoyed Year One. If there was a next part lined up, I'd probably be more optimistic. But as a stand-alone film, I'd have to recommend watching Batman Begins again instead. It pulls from the same story and is executed much better. Though I guess a case could be made that it sounds like Christian Bale is taking a shit when delivering his lines too, but it's a much more glorious shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment