Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Virgin Spring (1960)

The Virgin Spring (1960)

Directed by: Ingmar Bergman
Screenplay by: Ulla Isaksson

Genre: Crime | Drama
Running Time: 89 Minutes
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Viewed: IFC

[IMDb]






Comments: The first time I heard of Ingmar Bergman's The Virgin Spring was when I read that is was the influence for Wes Craven's The Last House on the Left. While I was unimpressed with Last House (the remake was one of the few that was better than the original), I did enjoy The Virgin Spring immensely. The film is about as highly praised as you can get, garnering four-star (out of four) reviews everywhere you look. However, while I enjoyed the film, I felt parts were overly rushed and the film wasn't emotional as it could have been, but then again I guess it was rather controversial for its time, which is probably why the film isn't as effective on someone like me. I definitely recommend The Virgin Spring, and even if you don't want to drop $30 on the Criterion Collection DVD, it is on IFC from time to time, which is great.

Also Known As: JungfrukÀllan

No comments:

Post a Comment