Sunday, October 11, 2009

State of Play (2009)

State of Play (2009)

Directed by: Kevin Macdonald
Screenplay by: Matthew Michael Carnahan, Tony Gilroy, and Billy Ray

Genre: Drama | Mystery | Thriller
Running Time: 127 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Viewed: Rental DVD - Blockbuster

Find the truth.

[IMDb]




Comments: State of Play was one of the best films I've watched recently. I had watched so much horror that I yearned for something a little different this weekend (see: Observe and Report). I was hooked pretty much from the beginning, as the cast shines throughout the film (yes, even Ben Affleck, whom I have new-found respect for after he made Gone Baby Gone). Russell Crowe is charismatic as always, and he works well with Rachel McAdams as his partner. My only real complaint was that the end got a bit too twist-heavy. Just as soon as I thought the film had fully unraveled, another layer is peeled back, which made the film feel a bit too manufactured. Otherwise, State of Play is a solid and engaging thriller that's worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment