Monday, October 26, 2009

Transformers (2007)

Transformers (2007)

Directed by: Michael Bay
Screenplay by: Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman

Genre: Action | Sci-Fi | Thriller
Running Time: 144 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Viewed: Owned DVD

Their war. Our world.

[IMDb]




Comments: I loved Transformers as a kid. I can remember renting the same VHS tapes over and over again. I had all of the toys and was a devout fan. But Transformers wasn't a lasting interest, like Ghostbusters and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and I eventually moved on. When I learned that it was being turned into a film, I wasn't too excited; with the exception of the massive robot battles, the whole story didn't lend itself well to a real life feature. I watched the movie once before, and watching it again now, that is still my main complaint. The entire Transformers "mythos" is really bizarre, and the film is so much better before they start explaining everything. I realize that the whole story is based off of '80s toys and cartoons (which I really can't remember at all), but it all just transfers poorly to a modern-day audience (then again, if they changed it, all hell would break loose). The first half of the film is rather well done; Michael Bay knows how to make an entertaining movie (despite popular opinion). But, like I mentioned, the second half takes Transformers down a notch. I have a feeling the sequel will be much like the second half of the film, so I guess we'll see. On to number two...

No comments:

Post a Comment