Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Devil's Rejects (2005)

The Devil's Rejects (2005)

Directed by: Rob Zombie
Screenplay by: Rob Zombie

Genre: Crime | Horror | Thriller
Running Time: 109 Minutes (Unrated Cut)
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned DVD

Death walks behind. Hell waits ahead.

[IMDb]




Comments: To cap off my mini-Zombie marathon, I watched his best film, The Devil's Rejects. Normally, I'd be bitching about the total lack of continuity between this film and House of 1000 Corpses. Numerous characters are never mentioned, and the whole set looks like it was moved into the deep south (I realize that both films are set in Texas, but it rained through much of Corpses whereas the dryness and desert-like conditions are key elements in the look and feel of Rejects). However, this film is so kick-ass it's easy to overlook them. The Devil's Rejects is one of the best exploitation films released recently, and it really feels like something that could have been made in the '70s. All of the three leads are excellent, and I find it quite amusing how sympathetic they are portrayed despite being vicious and deranged killers. I also love how Zombie included various horror icons, including Ken Foree from Dawn of the Dead and Michael Berryman from The Hills Have Eyes. I can't recommend The Devil's Rejects enough, but that's probably because I'm a sick man and I have a strange Sheri Moon Zombie fetish. But don't you want to be just like me?

No comments:

Post a Comment