Friday, June 29, 2012

The Three Musketeers (2011)

The Three Musketeers (2011)

Directed by: Paul W.S. Anderson
Screenplay by: Alex Litvak and Andrew Davies

Genre: Action | Adventure | Romance
Running Time: 110 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Viewed: Rental DVD - Family Video

Every legend has a new beginning.

[IMDb]




Comments: Meh.

Parts of The Three Musketeers were really exciting. If I was a teenager, I think I really would've enjoyed the film. But since I'm not, I just can't help but pick out all the little things that aren't executed well, and there are few. As a whole, the movie does a bad job of combining action and comedy, and never really achieves a happy medium between the two. Because of this, many scenes seem silly and over-the-top. Plus, I really felt like they wasted too much screen time on young D'Artagnan; the other three chaps were most enjoyable. I would've loved to have seen them play much more prominent roles. Christoph Waltz is horribly out of place here as well. I honestly wouldn't mine watching the film again down the line, though. The film just feels like something I could warm to over time, given my enjoyment of the things that actually worked well. I suspect a Blu-ray purchase when The Three Musketeers hits the $5 range is a likelihood.

This is the last of the "popcorn" movies that I rented (this and Man on a Ledge were both films I wanted to see but admittedly knew they weren't going to be very good, hence why I didn't buy them). I have two dramas and shitty horror film still on tap, so we'll see how the night goes. Tomorrow looks promising on the theatrical front as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment