Friday, June 15, 2012

Prometheus (2012)

Prometheus (2012)

Directed by: Ridley Scott
Screenplay by: Jon Spaihts and Damon Lindelof

Genre: Adventure | Sci-Fi | Thriller
Running Time: 124 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Theater (2D)

The search for our beginning could lead to our end.

[IMDb]




Comments: I tempered my expectations of Ridley Scott's Prometheus after the film received a solid but not outstanding reception on its opening weekend (I previously mentioned that I was more excited to see it than The Dark Knight Rises; that perception was a little off). This was for the best as I think I would have been disappointed if my expectations were higher than they were. This pseudo-prequel to Alien is a solid if flawed film, but it definitely was worth the watch.

- The film's scope is so fucking grand that it's hard to latch onto one aspect. The reason Alien worked so well is because behind all of the space suits, evil corporations, and questionable-intentioned androids, the film was a horror story at heart. Man versus beast. And people were down with that. Prometheus has so many ideas and themes crammed into the two hour runtime that there's never one aspect to fully get involved in. (The fact that Prometheus was co-written by Lost showrunner Damon Lindelof feels natural, doesn't it?)

- The film looks GORGEOUS. Granted, I saw it in glorious 2D (as 3D is the worst thing to re-happen to movies in years), but this planet that the crew is on feels so alive. The cinematography and landscapes are awesome, and the ship's design is top notch.

- Michael Fassbender owns. That should come as no surprise, but he was above and beyond everyone else in Prometheus. The only character I enjoyed as much was Idris Elba's. I really didn't like Guy Pearce as the elderly Peter Weyland. I like Pearce, but any time a recognizable actor plays an older person by way of prosthetics and make-up I don't buy it. I didn't here.

- I know I make jokes often about actresses that qualify as #motherofgod material, but there are not many higher than Charlize Theron. Jesus fucking Christ. The woman is made of pure gorgeous. And she seems like an awesome person too if you've ever seen any interviews with her.

- Even though I have my share of complaints, I really liked Prometheus. I was hooked for the entire two hours, which surprised me because I'm usually passing out early Friday nights from the work week. It's worth seeing on the big screen as well, even if it's not as good as it should be. At least that didn't try to force Sigourney Weaver's iconic "bitch" line from Aliens (like the "get to the chopper" line in Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem), because nothing ruins a prequel/sequel more than shoving ideas from the other movie down the viewers' throats (see: The Hangover Part II). Wow, I really went off on a fucking tangent there. Anyway, go see Prometheus. It's solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment