Saturday, June 2, 2012

Chronicle (2012)

Chronicle (2012)

Directed by: Josh Trank
Screenplay by: Max Landis

Genre: Drama | Sci-Fi | Thriller
Running Time: 89 Minutes (Director's Cut)
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

What are you capable of?

[IMDb]




Comments: A few weeks ago, both Chronicle and The Grey were released. Normally, I'd indulge in both films, but I've been trying to cut back on my Blu-ray spending (somewhat) and was only going to grab The Grey. For whatever reason, a few days prior I decided to go with Chronicle instead. I figured The Grey was probably a better film (and after seeing Chronicle, I'm pretty positive it is), but the story and themes behind Chronicle are right up my alley. I've really wanted to watch the film for a couple weeks now, but as you've noticed, I've watched pretty much nothing lately. Finally, I sat down to watch it this evening. And it was... alright.

The found footage aspect does Chronicle no favors. It tended to be completley distracting for me; often I was wondering why the fuck a character would be recording something rather than focusing on the film itself. Let's say, for example, when Andrew pushes a car off the road into a river. He proceeds to not only record what is essentially an admission of guilt, but then just stands there while his friends save the guy. Granted, that could have been some sort of foreshadowing, but it just seemed so silly to me. I think a "regular" film would have suited the story better, but who knows if it would have stood out as much?

At its core, I enjoyed Chronicle. It really could have been done better, but I do appreciate the filmmakers trying something different (despite how stale the found footage genre is becoming). This film would have been a better rental, and I definitely think I should have bought The Grey instead. Nonetheless, I was entertained by Chronicle and do recommend it to those with an interest in the superhero genre. This is definitely an origin story.

No comments:

Post a Comment