Saturday, June 2, 2012

Alien (1979)

Alien (1979)

Directed by: Ridley Scott
Screenplay by: Dan O'Bannon

Genre: Horror | Sci-Fi
Running Time: 117 Minutes (Theatrical Cut)
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

In space no one can hear you scream.

[IMDb]




Comments: I haven't used this format in awhile, so here we go:

- I have to get ready for Prometheus in some fashion.

- And if I'm being honest, I think I'm looking forward to Prometheus more than The Dark Knight Rises. And that's saying something. It probably also says that the film won't live up to my internal hype.

- If I'm being honest again, it's always annoyed me that there's no comma in the tagline after "space." Perhaps the no comma way is the correct way - I'm not entirely sure - but it always felt wrong to me.

- As for the film itself, it's hard to go wrong with Alien. It's been several years since I've seen the film, but it holds up remarkably well. The effects are solid, and despite the archaic looking computer systems everything else looks great (especially on Blu-ray).

- I chose the theatrical cut because it is the version Ridley Scott prefers.

- I was reminded a lot of John Carpenter's The Thing while watching Alien. (Woah there! I realize The Thing came out in 1982, after Alien). The plot, look, and feel of the films are very similar.

- I'm somewhat perplexed at how much everyone wanted to save Jonesy the Cat. I love cats. Seriously. But this cat was an asshole. All he did was hiss and growl. Sorry buddy, you're going down with the ship.

- So if you read the last post, you'll see that I'm trying to not buy as many Blu-rays (half due to saving money, the other half due to the frequency in which I watch movies). This is because I wander around Best Buy when I'm bored. And then I see the Alien Anthology on sale (keep in mind I already own all four special editions on DVD). But this is shiny. And on Blu-ray. And I want it. So I get it. And then I see the Mel Brooks collection on sale. And it's nine of his films on Blu-ray. And I want that also. So I get that too. But wait, there's the Jackass television box set for $13. Looks like that's going in my collection. Oh wait, there's The Deer Hunter for $10 on Blu-ray. And Season Three of Breaking Bad. Yep, those were the last few weekends.

- In summation, I can't fucking wait for Prometheus.

No comments:

Post a Comment