Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The X-Files - Season Four (1996-1997)

The X-Files (1993-2002)

Created by: Chris Carter

Season: Four (1996-1997)
Genre: Drama | Horror | Mystery | Sci-Fi | Thriller
Number of Episodes: 24
Episode Running Time: 60 Minutes
Viewed: Owned DVD

The truth is out there.

[IMDb]




Comments: As a child, I was frightened of nearly everything. I can't tell you how many hours of sleep I lost because of movies like Child's Play and Poltergeist (perhaps that's why I love horror movies now). But nothing freaked me the fuck out more when I was eleven years old and I sat down and watched "Home" one night. "Home" was one of the only episodes of The X-Files that was rated mature (the only other episode was Season Eight's "Via Negativa" I believe), and subsequently was banned from television after it aired. Living in Pennsylvania, I was sure that the Peacock family was going to arrive at my house every night to beat me to death with a baseball bat. Watching it again now, I find the episode to be pretty damn entertaining. As for the rest of the season, I felt it took a step back from Season Three. The show's still good, but the ideas for the self-contained episodes felt weak at times, and the overarching stories (along with the addition of Scully's cancer) are what held the season together. Other favorite episodes for me (besides "Home"), included both two-parters ("Tunguska" and "Terma," along with "Tempus Fugit" and "Max") and the comedy-themed episode "Small Potatoes" (which stars writer Darin Morgan, who wrote some of the greatest X-Files episodes, including "Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'" and "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose"). In the end, Season Four serves up another great batch of episodes. It's well worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment