Saturday, July 24, 2010

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell (2009)

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell (2009)

Directed by: Bob Gosse
Screenplay by: Tucker Max and Nils Parker

Genre: Comedy
Running Time: 105 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Rental DVD - Family Video

[IMDb]






Comments: While I'm not the biggest reader, I will admit to loving the so-called "fratire" genre. I've read several books filled crazy stories and antics, but none have made me laugh (to literally the point of tears) like Tucker Max's "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell." I fucking loved that book. However, I was very hesitant to see a film adaptation, because everything about this screamed "awful!" (plus the fact that it was shit on by just about everyone didn't help). But I must say, after waiting for so long to finally watch the film, I thought it was pretty decent. Sure, there's entirely too much sexism and woman-bashing at the beginning (to the point where I just wanted to yell at the director to "get on with it!" during some scenes), and after a while it stops being Tucker Max's book and starts becoming every other college-esque movie ever made (lots of drunken craziness, some character gets angry at the main character, main character must make sweeping apology to end the film while making everyone friends again), but I actually enjoyed myself. I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell really won't be most people's cup of tea, but I didn't think it was so terrible. Or maybe I'm just an asshole.

No comments:

Post a Comment