Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Wolfman (2010)

The Wolfman (2010)

Directed by: Joe Johnston
Screenplay by: Andrew Kevin Walker and David Self

Genre: Horror | Thriller
Running Time: 119 Minutes (Director's Cut)
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Viewed: Owned DVD

When the moon is full the legend comes to life.

[IMDb]




Comments: Original review: I had been interested in The Wolfman since I first saw the trailer. I've never seen the original, but I liked the actors involved as well as the feel of the film, which looked like a gothic period piece. However, many reviewers stated The Wolfman was very average, so I really lost most of my interest this week. If a number of my friends weren't going tonight, I probably would have waited until the film came out on DVD. Luckily, I did enjoy the updated version. It's certainly no classic, and I doubt it will ever be revered as George Waggner's original Wolf Man, but it was certainly passable and worth a watch. While I'm a big fan of Benicio Del Toro, I found his portrayal of Lawrence Talbot to be a bit bland. He's generally better in supporting roles; in The Wolfman he failed to garner much of any empathy and I never truly felt his plight to the fullest. The biggest question I had was why Universal didn't decide to neuter the film to gain a PG-13 rating. There's no language or nudity, just some vicious violence (that I definitely enjoyed). These days, however, the naughty things are cut out for the theatrical run only to be inserted in the TOTALLY UNRATED cut on DVD (which ended up being the case anyway). Oh well, it's nice to see they decided to release the film as intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment