Saturday, July 10, 2010

Thirst (2009)

Thirst (2009)

Directed by: Chan-wook Park
Screenplay by: Seo-Gyeong Jeong and Chan-wook Park

Genre: Drama | Horror | Romance
Running Time: 133 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Rental DVD - Family Video

[IMDb]






Comments: I will admit to being a little disappointed in Chan-wook Park's Thirst. The only other film of Park's I've seen is his excellent Oldboy, which I loved (I do own the rest of the Vengeance Trilogy, but just haven't gotten around to watching Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance or Lady Vengeance yet). Combined with the fact that Thirst received excellent reviews, I was very eager to see the film. Surprisingly, Thirst is much more of a bizarre love story than a horror film. Sure, vampirism is present throughout and a focal point of the film, but it's not typical by any means. None of this would have affected my interest in the film, but Thirst plods along for much of running time, with only a few captivating scenes here and there. It's a good film, but with a bit of a tighter pace I think Park could have improved his work. I'm sure many will disagree with me, and perhaps I will appreciate the film more on subsequent viewings. But for now, Thirst is simply good, not great.

Also Known As: Bakjwi

No comments:

Post a Comment