Thursday, June 11, 2009

Home Movie (2008)

Home Movie (2008)

Directed by: Christopher Denham
Screenplay by: Christopher Denham

Genre: Drama | Thriller
Running Time: 77 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Rental DVD - Blockbuster

Some memories are best forgotten.

[IMDb]




Comments: When it comes to "found footage" films, I've enjoyed the ones I've seen. The Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield immediately come to mind, and I've always been a fan of those films. Therefore, I was interested about Home Movie the first time I read about it. And in terms of the script, the storytelling through a digital camera, and overall effectiveness, Home Movie is a success. I was continuously interested in what was going to unfold, and I found the kids to be a bit creepy. But, there were more than a few things that didn't sit with me so well. The reasons why a family would continue to keep chronicling their children's descent into madness is beyond me. It's completely ridiculous that some of these things would be recorded. Also, (some spoilers) the ease with which the kids drag unconscious bodies around is strange, and the fact that both parents are shown laying on the kitchen table and tied up is beyond me. Superhuman kid strength? I guess. And why does the mother, a psychologist, chronicle her children's plight throughout the film on the family camera? I'm sure Grandma would love to hear about the kids crucifying the cat and attacking and biting some kid in a bathroom. Anyway, while Home Movie has its issues, it's an interesting watch and a different take on a "possession" film. It's worth a watch if you're in the mood for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment