Saturday, June 20, 2009

Doubt (2008)

Doubt (2008)

Directed by: John Patrick Shanley
Screenplay by: John Patrick Shanley

Genre: Drama | Mystery
Running Time: 104 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Viewed: Rental DVD - Blockbuster

[IMDb]






Comments: The real highlight of Doubt is the performance of its lead actors; I can only imagine how powerful the play would have been. The story itself lends more to a play as well. I felt the film dragged on too long in certain parts. I think John Patrick Shanley was intent on showing how life was rigid and uneventful in Catholic schools in the 1960s. While he is successful, it creates a lot of anticipation in the viewer, who is patiently waiting for the movie progress. The last act is both stirring and excellent, and excellently acted by both Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Meryl Streep (big surprise there). I enjoyed Doubt, but I feel guilty giving it just four stars as it was in many critics' end-of-the-year list. But despite the strong leads, I never really was completely immersed in the film until the final "showdown" between Streep and Hoffman. Still, Doubt is a great movie, and worth a view regardless of belief.

No comments:

Post a Comment