Monday, April 23, 2012

Requiem for a Vampire (1973)

Requiem for a Vampire (1973)

Directed by: Jean Rollin
Screenplay by: Jean Rollin

Genre: Horror
Running Time: 88 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Netflix Watch Instantly

[IMDb]






Comments: Requiem for a Vampire, the fourth Jean Rollin film I've watched in the span of twenty-four hours, was brutal. And not in the insanely violent awesome way, but in the dull, slow, and dreadfully painful way. Most of Rollin's films aren't high octane, fast-paced thrill-fests, but Requiem for a Vampire is a whole 'nother story. Granted, the film does star my other favorite Rollin actress, Marie-Pierre Castel (to go along with the lovely Brigitte Lahaie), but she can't come close to saving this film. And to think, I was going to watch The Grapes of Death, one of Rollin's most respected films, but I've enjoyed his vampire flicks so much that I figured I'd dive into another one this evening. In retrospect, perhaps it wasn't the best decision, though I likely would have watched Requiem for a Vampire anyway.

Speaking of Lahaie, I was able to track down and take a peak at some of her "other" films that she made prior to working with Rollin (the ones I made mention to in the previous post). Though the fact she does, well, everything expected in those films, to me it's still nowhere as cool as the whole scythe scene from Fascination. The fact that she was a completely different type of actress earlier in the '70s is all fine and dandy, but I was reminded as I "reviewed" a few of those films how much better actresses tend to look and come off in a respectable film. To top it all off, Marie-Pierre Castel has also performed in a few "other" movies for Jean Rollin. And wouldn't you know it, but I've managed to track down a few of those films as well (where she performs with her twin fucking sister, nonetheless). And the same thing I said for Lahaie applies here: I'll take a solidly made Rollin film over watching "everything" on display any day. Those "other" films are great for reference and research material, though.

Also Known As: Caged Virgins

No comments:

Post a Comment