Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Fisher King (1991)

The Fisher King (1991)

Directed by: Terry Gilliam
Screenplay by: Richard LaGravenese

Genre: Comedy | Drama
Running Time: 137 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned DVD

A modern day tale about the search for love, sanity, Ethel Merman
  and the Holy Grail.


[IMDb]



Comments: Yeah, so I was on a little Robin Williams kick after Good Will Hunting.

Little did I know that I'd get to see all of him.

I hadn't even heard of this Terry Gilliam film before a few months ago. I've seen a number of his films, yet this one completely escaped me until Filmspotting did a Top 5 list of the best "redemption" films. About a week after I listened to that podcast, I saw the DVD on sale for $5 at Best Buy and picked it up (where it sat on my shelf unwatched for some time - like 75% of all the other films I buy). Williams and Jeff Bridges are great in this, and while it didn't touch me as personally as Good Will Hunting (because I'm secretly a super genius), I still really liked the movie. And though the film is directed by Gilliam, it's fairly straightforward, though there are definitely some hints of that insanity at times. Regardless, The Fisher King is worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment