Saturday, April 28, 2012

Goon (2011)

Goon (2011)

Directed by: Michael Dowse
Screenplay by: Jay Baruchel and Evan Goldberg

Genre: Comedy | Sport
Running Time: 92 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Amazon Instant Video

Meet Doug, the nicest guy you'll ever fight.

[IMDb]




Comments: Every kid has their dream of what they want to be when they grow up. Mine was to play hockey. It's something that I unfortunately never had the opportunity to do, but I've continued to vicariously live that dream my entire life through pick-up street hockey games, watching the NHL and going to several games a year, and playing the NHL video game series on my trusty 360 (the amount of hours I've logged playing the '08 through '12 games is insane). If I'm not watching a movie or one of my DVR'd shows (why does that make me sound like a housewife?), my TV is tuned to the NHL network. Yep, I'm that guy.

When I first saw the trailer for Goon, I was a little disappointed. Finally, here was a movie about hockey coming out that wasn't Slap Shot IV: The Quest for Peace, and it looked completely ridiculous. But once the movie premiered, I was surprised to hear a few decent things about it. I was going to wait to pick up the Blu-ray, but with the VOD availability on Amazon, plus the $5 balance in my account, I was all over this shit.

Despite the fact that Goon was a tad ridiculous at times, I loved the shit out of this movie. Seann William Scott was great as Doug Glatt, the tough yet loyal ass kicker that gets a shot on a minor league hockey team (though there are a few times where I feel they made him too dumb). I've always liked Stifler as an actor as long as he's in his comfort zone (American Reunion's the perfect example; he was great in that film), and Scott's in the zone here in Goon. I was a little perplexed by casting of Alison Pill as the love interest. She's not particularly memorable during the scene where she's first introduced, and I wouldn't call her classically good-looking (no offense to all the Pill-heads out there). However, by the end of the film, she completely won me over - I completely see why she was got the role now. And lastly, Liev Schreiber was perfect as Stifler's aging counterpart. His character was spot on as a hockey enforcer: he's a nice guy off the ice, but he knows his role and will lay you out on the ice.

So yeah, I really enjoyed Goon. While I think anyone would enjoy it, I really believe hockey fans will find a soft spot in their heart for this film. It's out on Blu-ray at the end of May, so if you don't get the chance to check this out now, be sure to take a look in a month's time. It's fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment