Monday, April 16, 2012

Godzilla (1954)

Godzilla (1954)

Directed by: Ishirô Honda
Screenplay by: Ishirō Honda and Takeo Murata

Genre: Drama | Horror | Sci-Fi | Thriller
Running Time: 96 Minutes
MPAA Rating: Not Rated
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

Incredible, unstoppable titan of terror!

[IMDb]




Comments: I'm a sucker for good packaging, so I was immediately drawn to Criterion's amazing Blu-ray release for Ishirô Honda's 1954 classic Godzilla. I've never seen the film - or any in the long line of sequels that followed - so I was having a tough time deciding if I wanted to blind buy the film. I decided to watch some clips on Youtube, and that's when I was given the honor of listening to the main theme of Godzilla:


Pure. Cinematic. Magic.

After hearing that, I immediately bought the film, and I certainly don't regret it after watching Godzilla this evening. Sure, some (well, most) of the effects are extremely dated, and the finale is what I would call less than exciting, but the film's a wonderful peace of nostalgia from the '50s that accurately captured Japan's fears of massive weapons and the testing of those weapons. The print is still rough, despite a superb restoration from the guys at Criterion, so that's a little disappointing as well, but it's likely the best look we're going to get. These are all mostly minor complaints though, as I enjoyed the shit out of Godzilla. If you've never seen the film before, just listen to that theme again. You'll be a fan even before the Blu-ray is in your hands, as I was.

Also Known As: Gojira

No comments:

Post a Comment