Sunday, February 20, 2011

Unknown (2011)

Unknown (2011)

Directed by: Jaume Collet-Serra
Screenplay by: Oliver Butcher and Stephen Cornwell

Genre: Drama | Mystery | Thriller
Running Time: 113 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Viewed: Theater

Take back your life.

[IMDb]




Comments: Unknown to me is the definition of a snowy Sunday afternoon movie. It's nothing that I need to go see Friday night when it premieres, and since the football season's over I need something to occupy my time during the tail-end of the weekend. The setup is well executed, and I was certainly into everything the movie was offering - until the dreaded twist. To be honest, once we 'know' the Unknown, it's not all that bad. It's just very reminiscent of a film that came out ten years ago (I don't want to spoil the film, but will say a review on the IMDb spoils it with the comparison in the title of the review). The middle of the film is also a bit sluggish, which elongates the running time and loses the steam it had built up at the beginning. There's not much to write home about in the acting department, but I was surprised at how off January Jones is. I've not had the pleasure of seeing Mad Men yet, but maybe thrillers aren't her thing. She was very awkward at times. Still, Unknown is an entertaining excursion, and certainly worth at least a rental when it comes out on Blu-ray. Perhaps you could save it for a Sunday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment