Saturday, February 12, 2011

Red Hill (2010)

Red Hill (2010)

Directed by: Patrick Hughes
Screenplay by: Patrick Hughes

Genre: Crime | Thriller | Western
Running Time: 95 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

Revenge just rode into town.

[IMDb]




Comments: I'm a bit torn on Red Hill. On one hand, I really liked the film; on the other, I expected more. From watching the trailer a few weeks ago, I concocted this film in my head that was a gritty, dark experience. That really isn't Red Hill, so perhaps the film's shortcomings reflect my own expectations. The lead, Ryan Kwanten, is solid and is particularly good at getting his ass kicked fairly often. His innocence and reluctance did feel overplayed at times, and I felt the need for him to get more involved sooner. Anyway, one of the more interesting aspects of the film is that if you changed a few small details, Red Hill easily transforms into a horror flick (and it was filmed like one during several scenes). I guess that's just obvious to me from all the slasher films I've watched over the years. Overall, I liked this western. But even the theme on the menu builds the film up to a standard it can't reach; listen to it over the menu and then watch Red Hill. Tell me you just don't expect a little more by the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment