Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Rite (2011)

The Rite (2011)

Directed by: Mikael Håfström
Screenplay by: Michael Petroni

Genre: Drama | Horror | Thriller
Running Time: 114 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Viewed: Theater

You can only defeat it when you believe.

[IMDb]




Comments: Ugh. Where to begin? As a devout horror fan, I did want to see this film, despite the terrible reviews it received. As a devout atheist, I realized this film had to hit the right notes for me to be fully invested in the film and not think it's a giant crock of shit (I generally don't care if a movie's religious; it just has to be good). Throughout the first 30 minutes or so, I was actually invested and enjoyed the film. However, right around the time a possessed woman starts coughing up the nails from the crucifixion, The Rite became what I expected: a giant crock of shit. And it didn't get better after that, trust me. Doesn't Anthony Hopkins have better projects to pick from?

No comments:

Post a Comment