Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2010)

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2010)

Directed by: Troy Nixey
Screenplay by: Guillermo del Toro and Matthew Robbins

Genre: Horror | Thriller
Running Time: 99 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Theater

Fear is never just make believe.

[IMDb]




Comments: I sort of liked this format:

- Don't Be Afraid of the Dark has Guillermo del Toro's fingerprints all over it. This is director Troy Nixey's first film, so I don't have any prior work to base this film off of, but it feels like del Toro stood over his shoulder during filming saying, "well, I would maybe shoot it this way..."

- The film certainly has a fantasy vibe to it (see above). I was often reminded of del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth, although Don't Be Afraid of the Dark is very much a horror film too.

- Classless joke time: I'd definitely welcome the dark if my girlfriend looked like this without clothes on. Jesus, Tom, what have you done to The Gift-era Katie?!

- So I have a well-known reputation amongst my friends for having little patience for assholes (particularly teenagers) who talk during movies. I don't give a fuck if I'm "that guy;" I'm going to let you know that you're a dumb ass. Luckily, there was a group of young teens behind me who had no problem chatting away. I politely told them to "SHUT THE FUCK UP," to which one responded, "excuse me, I'm having a conversation." Wow. Just wow.

- One of them inexplicably started crying halfway through the film. I have no idea why (sadly, it wasn't from me yelling at them). While it was slightly annoying, I reveled in her depression - no matter what the source was.

- The ending felt very... sudden. I can't really talk about it without giving much away, but I felt like the characters should have tried to rectify what transpired at the very end (you'll understand upon viewing the film). Instead, they didn't really do anything.

- Despite the very mixed reviews, I enjoyed Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. To me, it was as much a fantasy film as it was a horror film, but that really made it stand out and separate itself from what very easily could have been a more formulaic haunted house story. Sure, certain things bugged me - like how these creatures, living below the house for hundreds of years, just automatically know enough about electricity to find the fuse box and turn off the power to the house. Seriously? But beyond that, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark is a solid film. This will be a good one to rent on an upcoming dark winter night.

No comments:

Post a Comment