Saturday, August 6, 2011

Blue Valentine (2010)

Blue Valentine (2010)

Directed by: Derek Cianfrance
Screenplay by: Derek Cianfrance, Cami Delavigne, and Joey Curtis

Genre: Drama | Romance
Running Time: 112 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

A love story.

[IMDb]




Comments: Wow, Blue Valentine is a tough movie to watch. I've wanted to watch it for so long, but I've held off for awhile just because I wanted the "perfect" time to watch it. I don't know if tonight was that time, but fuck it, I watched it anyway.

I think my biggest impression from the film is that it felt so real - so much moreso than a "fantasy" love story we're accustomed to in the movies today. I wanted to like Ryan Gosling's character more (basically because I have a giant man crush), but I understand why he's harsh and juvenile - because that's exactly how a person with his background may very well behave. The performances are strong, which of course has been pointed out so many times by critics, and the direction felt very "free" at times, which works for the film.

Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment