Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Donnie Darko (2001)

Donnie Darko (2001)

Directed by: Richard Kelly
Screenplay by: Richard Kelly

Genre: Drama | Mystery | Sci-Fi
Running Time: 113 Minutes (Theatrical Cut)
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

[IMDb]




Comments: Donnie Darko is one of those movies that I remember exactly what was going on when I first watched the film. I was a freshman in college (it was 2003), and I had heard a lot of things about this movie with a giant rabbit. So one Friday evening, I was looking for something to kill time before it turned beer o'clock. Usually I played some online poker (the rage at the time), but this one night I decided to watch Donnie Darko. And when I finished the film, I was just completely hypnotized. What the fuck did I just watch? Could it get any more amazing? There's nothing like watching a film that just fucks with you so much that you just want to shut off the outside world when it ends and think back on what recently occurred. Granted, once I went out to party and got shifaced, the haze lifted (and another haze set in! *rimshot*). But the film just messed with me, and continues to do so on repeated viewings.

I had held off on buying the film on Blu-ray, simply because the picture quality was shitty. When I heard news that a four-disc 10th Anniversary edition was coming out, I was excited. I was hoping that we'd get a deluxe remastered version. Instead, we got the original Blu-ray with the shitty picture quality, disc two of the 2005 two-disc Director's Cut set, the original theatrical cut disc from the 2002 release, and a brand new disc with the digital copy (oh joy!). So in essence, it's a shit release... and I bought it anyway. I read an review that quoted Richard Kelly (he didn't even know the 10th Anniversary release was coming out), and he stated there was an issue with obtaining the film to remaster it between companies, and that we likely wouldn't see a remastered version anytime soon (I looked for the review so that I could link it here, but for the life of me I can't find it). So I picked up this edition at Walmart the other day, and while the PQ isn't great, I'm glad I have yet another copy of this film (my third; I also have three editions of Ghostbusters - four if you count my VHS tape back home). If you haven't seen Donnie Darko yet, well... seriously, what the fuck?

No comments:

Post a Comment