Saturday, August 6, 2011

Gangs of New York (2002)

Gangs of New York (2002)

Directed by: Martin Scorsese
Screenplay by: Jay Cocks, Steven Zaillian, and Kenneth Lonergan

Genre: Crime | Drama | History
Running Time: 167 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned DVD

America was born in the streets.

[IMDb]




Comments: I have heard a number of great things over the years about Gangs of New York. A co-worker from some years ago told me it was his favorite film of all time. Another good friend of mine told me it's the fastest three hours you'll experience in a movie (because it's so good). I tend to... well, disagree. Gangs of New York is a pretty good movie, but for me, it's nowhere near as captivating and amazing as I was led to believe. I've seen a number of Scorsese films that I enjoyed more. Despite this, I really did like the grandiose nature and how "large" of a film this felt like. It's just a shame that the film itself couldn't quite live up to that feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment