Sunday, August 28, 2011

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006)

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006)

Directed by: Tom Tykwer
Screenplay by: Andrew Birkin, Bernd Eichinger, and Tom Tykwer

Genre: Drama | Fantasy
Running Time: 147 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned DVD

He lived to find beauty. He killed to possess it.

[IMDb]




Comments: I think it would be a major understatement if I simply said Perfume: The Story of a Murderer was a strange film. This movie is fucking out there (and for the most part, not in a good way). While certain parts of the film are great, much of it is slow and a bit uneven. Without a doubt, the best aspect of Perfume is the look and cinematography. The sets and locations are gorgeous, and the dirtier aspects of the film really made me want to take a shower. But the story is lacking, and there's never any characters for the audience to latch onto (I suppose some of the women could count, but for the most part none of them are around long enough). Perfume: The Story of a Murderer is certainly a unique film, and I'm glad I finally took the time to watch it. Unfortunately, I just wished it had lived up to my expectations a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment