Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Girls Next Door - Season 6 (2009)

The Girls Next Door (2005-2009)

Created by: Kevin Burns and Hugh Hefner

Season: Six (2009)
Genre: Reality TV
Number of Episodes: 10
Episode Running Time: 30 Minutes
Viewed: Owned DVD

Six times the fun!

[IMDb]




Comments: I won't lie, I first watched The Girls Next Door on DVD a few years ago simply because I found out it was uncensored (hell fucking yeah!). I mean, as stupid as the show sounded, there was going to be three hot naked blonde chicks running around? Sign me up! But then as I watched the first season, I have to say... I started to like it. It's ridiculous, scripted, and most of all dumb, but I certainly enjoyed myself (the nudity didn't hurt either). Over the next few years, I'd pick up each season as it was released and watch it (there's no way in hell I was watching it on E!, because even though I enjoyed it, I didn't enjoy it enough to watch a censored version). Once the news came out that everyone broke up/moved out, I didn't really give a shit, but I was surprised to find that they filmed another season with new girls and didn't go solely for Kendra and Holly's spin-off shows. I debated picking this season up for a few weeks, mainly because I don't care about these girls. But I was bored yesterday, and there it was just staring at me at Target, and you know...

The sixth season is entirely pointless (I guess you could say the pointlessness is relative to the absolute meaninglessness of the first five seasons). It just makes everything that seemed real about the first five seasons completely worthless with how easily they transitioned to these new girls. Despite the stupidity of the show, I did come to like the "Original 3" girls and discovered they did have more to them than fake tits and bronzer. I'm trying not to get deep talking about The Girls Next Door, but with how replaceable they were made this season, it just feels weird. Crystal's not horrible, but the twins are especially vapid and devoid of any personality, so I didn't give a shit when they were onscreen unless they were naked (and if I'm being honest, that really wasn't all that great either - not that I'd kick them, especially if they were together, out of bed). I think the part that ties the whole season together is Crystal's comments she made about Hef only a few days ago, after breaking off their engagement (you can read it here). Needless to say, the level of fakeness this season was ridiculously high.

Since this show's done, I think I may have to venture into Kendra and Holly's World. There's new seasons on DVD of those shows coming out this fall, so why not? More naked blondes is always fine by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment