Sunday, July 3, 2011

Devil (2010)

Devil (2010)

Directed by: John Erick Dowdle
Screenplay by: Brian Nelson

Genre: Horror | Mystery | Thriller
Running Time: 80 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Viewed: Rental DVD (Family Video)

Bad things happen for a reason.

[IMDb]




Comments: Devil is of note simply because M. Night Shyamalan wrote the story for the film (Brian Nelson wrote the screenplay), and it's probably the best thing he's done in years. That's not to say the film's very good, as it isn't, but it's not terrible either. I was a huge Shyamalan fan/defender through The Village; I thought (and still think) that film and Signs are terrific and often completely misunderstood (but that's for another time). I still, for some reason, haven't watched Lady in the Water, but The Happening was a total abomination that quickly halted me defending the man in any form (there's also a complete refusal on my part in watching The Last Airbender). Devil is certainly a step in the right direction, but I think he could really resurrect his career by doing less writing and more directing. Wow, this review has nothing to do with the actual movie. Eh, whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment