Friday, July 22, 2011

The Big Bang Theory - Season Two (2008-2009)

The Big Bang Theory (2007-????)

Created by: Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady

Season: Two (2008-2009)
Genre: Comedy
Number of Episodes: 23
Episode Running Time: 30 Minutes
Viewed: Owned DVD

Smart is the new sexy.

[IMDb]




Comments: The second season of The Big Bang Theory is a vast improvement over the first in many ways. The first (and most obvious) improvement is how they've made Sheldon less annoying. Not only did he get on my nerves constantly in the first season, I also could never figure out why these people would hang out with him. In Season Two, Sheldon retains his core characteristics, but the storylines are more suited to his character's likeability, rather than toward how crazy he is. There's often a bit of humanity thrown in to which helps make the character endearing to audiences. Don't get me wrong, he's still an asshole at times, but it's never quite as bad (or as mean) as he was in the beginning...

...Which brings me to how awesome of an actor Jim Parsons is. No matter what you think of The Big Bang Theory, it's hard not to recognize how talented this man is. Not only does he have a ridiculous amount of difficult dialogue, but he also must perform challenging physical comedy whilst delivering said lines. It's really impressive.

I also found myself invested in the Leonard-Penny romance. Most of the show is devoted to Sheldon's antics, but every once in awhile there was a nice moment between the two. It's not nearly as epic as something like a Jim/Pam or Chuck/Sarah arc (why do I always come back to those two?), but it's a nice touch and adds a very human element to the show. Every time Penny went on a date with some guy, I felt a pain for Leonard (probably because I've experience that before myself). In accordance with how Sheldon was slightly tweaked for the second season, so was this relationship. No dramatic changes were made from the first season, but it was enough of a difference to make me actually care about the two.

I've already started the third season of The Big Bang Theory. It's by no means the greatest show in the world, but it's a fun diversion on these ungodly hot summer days. I refuse to go outside unless I specifically need to (like when I go to work), so it's nice to have something to watch while locked up inside my air conditioned fortress.

As a bonus, this is my absolute favorite scene from the show so far. Penny gives Sheldon a Leonard Nimoy-signed napkin. It's hilarious, touching, and an overall wonderful moment. Oh, and I couldn't find any embeddable YouTube videos, so you're probably going to get a virus when you play it.

No comments:

Post a Comment