Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Le Samouraï (1967)

Le Samouraï (1967)

Directed by: Jean-Pierre Melville
Screenplay by: Jean-Pierre Melville and Georges Pellegrin

Genre: Crime | Drama | Mystery | Thriller
Running Time: 105 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG
Viewed: Owned DVD

[IMDb]






Comments: One of my worst habits I'd like to break is waiting for the "perfect time" to watch great films. I have a lot of DVDs (and the Blu-ray pile is growing), and a number of them are highly praised films that I've never seen because I feel like I need to be in the right mood to view them. Usually, I'll just pop in something that doesn't require my full attention or some horror shlock. It's mainly because over the years I fondly remember the exact circumstances of what was happening when I watched my favorite films, and for some reason I think that I need to have the proper mindset to not only properly enjoy the film, but to have a memorable experience that will stick with me for some time. It's really fucking stupid, and I've waited entirely too long to watch some must-see classics. So I'm going to not only try to watch more films this month (I know it will be hard to top the whopping seven films I watched in May), but really invest my time wisely in some great films instead of watching Cops and NCIS reruns, which take up a lot of my time.

And Le Samouraï is fucking awesome. If you were a fan of the recently released film The American, you may want to check out Criterion's DVD of Jean-Pierre Melville's classic. It may feature the most mundane chase scene in the history of cinema, but it's a terrifically filmed and acted piece. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment