Sunday, June 19, 2011

Blow Out (1981)

Blow Out (1981)

Directed by: Brian De Palma
Screenplay by: Brian De Palma

Genre: Crime | Drama | Mystery | Thriller
Running Time: 107 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

Murder has a sound all of its own!

[IMDb]




Comments: I picked up Blow Out as part of a sale Amazon had on Criterion Blu-rays a few weeks ago. Thus, the early '80s Brian De Palma film has the distinction of being the first Blu Criterion release I've seen - and it looks wonderful. Criterion always does a great job with the films they release, and they've certainly continued the trend when transitioning to high definition. I'm not a huge Criterion nerd, as I generally prefer shitty horror movies (as if someone couldn't tell from this blog), but I do enjoy feeling like an authentic film fan every once in awhile.

Anyway, Blow Out itself seems like an odd choice for Criterion. It's a good film, and I really enjoyed it, but it's a fairly straight forward thriller with roots in several like-minded '70s films. It's not foreign, not artsy (at least to the Nth degree, as we get some solid split screen action), and certainly not batshit crazy, so in my pea-brain it doesn't seem to fit well into Criterion's collection of films. But regardless, they did an amazing job with this release, and I heartily recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment