Saturday, June 11, 2011

Super 8 (2011)

Super 8 (2011)

Directed by: J.J. Abrams
Screenplay by: J.J. Abrams

Genre: Mystery | Sci-Fi | Thriller
Running Time: 112 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Viewed: Theater

Next summer, it arrives.

[IMDb]




Comments: Super 8 was easily the most anticipated movie of the summer for me (well, it might have been The Tree of Life but there's no chance of that showing anywhere near me), and for the most part it lived up to my lofty expectations. The phrases being thrown around in reviews like "throwback to the '80s" and "Spielberg-esque" are rather true to form, as I could easily see Super 8 being released in the '80s. I certainly feel that it would be held in the same regard as other fondly remembered classics of yesteryear. The film focuses on six young kids - and let me tell you - they are fucking phenomenal. Some (including the lead boy) don't even have any prior experience in film. It's great. I loved the affection between the main kid and Elle Fanning (Dakota's younger sister). There's a real affection shown between the two, and they have great chemistry together. (Does that sound as creepy as I felt writing it?) Kyle Chandler is as solid as always, even though his character is essentially the same one he's played for years. My one complaint was that the ending was a little too sappy in a "cue the score cause we're bringin' 'er home!" kind of way. But overall, Super 8 is a great summer movie that's certainly worth the price of admission. And it's not in fucking 3D!

No comments:

Post a Comment