Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Ninth Gate (1999)

The Ninth Gate (1999)

Directed by: Roman Polanski
Screenplay by: John Brownjohn, Enrique Urbizu, and Roman Polanski

Genre: Horror | Mystery | Thriller
Running Time: 133 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

Every book has a life of its own...

[IMDb]




Comments: Hmmm... The Ninth Gate is most certainly not what I expected. I was expecting an atmospheric and tense horror-thriller, but what I got was a slow and plodding neo-noir. Clearly, I'm not the only one who thinks this is one of Polanski's lesser films, but going in I liked the premise enough that I overlooked what the naysayers said. I shouldn't have. Listen, The Ninth Gate isn't a bad film. It's interesting at times, but it's poorly paced and the overall story isn't the most compelling. The Blu-ray does look nice, and wasn't a bad deal for $7.99. Yeah, I got nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment