Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Blair Witch Project (1999)

The Blair Witch Project (1999)

Directed by: Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sánchez
Screenplay by: Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sánchez

Genre: Horror
Running Time: 81 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

Everything you've heard is true.

[IMDb]




Comments: I was thinking a lot about The Blair Witch Project the other night when I watched Grave Encounters. I've seen a lot of "found footage" films in recent years, but it's been awhile since I've watched this originator of the genre. I liked this movie quite a bit when I was in high school, so I really hoped this was going to hold up for me. Luckily it did, and mainly for the reason I became less interested in Grave Encounters as it moved along: less is more. With ghost and haunted house films, the more you show, the more unrealistic it becomes. If we only see small pieces, however, it is often more effective and creepy. (Humans are afraid of the unknown!) With The Blair Witch Project, you don't get much at all - but it works, and it's effective as fuck. Sure, the actors' constant yelling and bitching gets a tad annoying, but overall, I really enjoyed the film. And yes, there's absolutely no need for something this low budget (and full screen) to be on Blu-ray, but fuck it. It was $5 at Best Buy yesterday. And I can't turn down much when it comes to Blu-rays.

No comments:

Post a Comment