Saturday, October 27, 2012

Sinister (2012)

Sinister (2012)

Directed by: Scott Derrickson
Screenplay by: Scott Derrickson and C. Robert Cargill

Genre: Horror | Mystery
Running Time: 110 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Theater

Once you see him, nothing can save you.

[IMDb]




Comments: I have been looking forward to catching Sinister for the last two weeks, but for whatever reason (busy one week, lazy the next) I never got around to checking it out. To be honest, I would've rather seen Cloud Atlas today, but the film isn't playing at my local theater so no luck there (it's playing in my hometown, so hopefully I'll get to it within the next two weeks).

The film marks a return to horror for director Scott Derrickson. In 2008 he directed the remake of the The Day the Earth Stood Still, a disappointing film in general and especially when considering his solid 2005 effort, The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Fortunately, Sinister contains much of the effective dread that Derrickson employed in Emily Rose, and as a result I really enjoyed this film. Combining a cool soundtrack, Ethan f'n Hawke, and a generally interesting story, I found myself fully invested in Sinister. Unfortunately, the ending is plagued by the same problem that effects countless other horror films: the revelation of what's going to removes much of the mystery and suspense, and that causes the movie to straddle the line between effectiveness and silliness. In the end though, I bought what Derrickson was selling (even the ending), making Sinister one of the best horror movies of 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment