Saturday, October 27, 2012

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012)

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012)

Directed by: Timur Bekmambetov
Screenplay by: Seth Grahame-Smith

Genre: Action | Fantasy | Horror | Thriller
Running Time: 105 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

President by day. Hunter by night.

[IMDb]




Comments: I feel as though I'm overrating this movie, but come on. It's Abraham Lincoln fighting fucking vampires.

- Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter really had a hard time finding a groove. At times the film felt like it was trying to be serious (well, as serious as it could be), but at other times it was balls-to-the-wall crazy. I can work with this style of crazy, but it has to be a cohesive film that sticks to its guns (à la Timur Bekmambetov's 2008 effort, Wanted). Good 'ol Abe is all over the map, and as a result never finds a groove.

- I have the original book and read about the first hundred pages (I'm not a dedicated reader and often just stop reading books in the middle if I'm not completely captivated). The tone of the book felt so much different than this fantasy film, which is strange considering the screenplay was written by the author, Seth Grahame-Smith. I liked the book (or at least, the beginning of the book) better.

- The special effects are just... no.

- All-in-all, I still enjoyed the film, (many) flaws and all. I think a more serious tone with less pizzazz and more grittiness would've served the material better. But in the end, it's still Abraham Lincoln fighting fucking vampires.

No comments:

Post a Comment