Thursday, October 18, 2012

Once Upon a Time in Norway (2007)

Once Upon a Time in Norway (2007)

Directed by: Pål Aasdal and Martin Ledang

Genre: Documentary | Crime | Music
Running Time: 60 Minutes
MPAA Rating: Not Rated
Viewed: YouTube

The history of Mayhem and the rise of Norwegian Black Metal.

[IMDb]





Comments: While I've never been a huge black metal fan, I've always had a faint curiosity in the genre dating back to my teenage years. All of the crazy shit that went on in the early '90s in Norway is something I've known about, but never really got an in-depth knowledge of. Another (and likely better) documentary about the subject, Until the Light Takes Us, has been in my Netflix queue for awhile, but I heard about Once Upon a Time in Norway on a podcast I listened to earlier this week, and it was slow today... so I hypothetically may have watched this film this afternoon at work. Let's keep that between us.

Anyway, I wasn't thrilled with the documentary. While it's informative, it assumes the viewer has a somewhat working knowledge of black metal, and the content is presented about as dryly as possible (talking head after talking head after talking head...). However, because I didn't know much about the Mayhem story, I still found Once Upon a Time in Norway interesting enough to recommend it to those interested. And hey, it's free on YouTube and only an hour long. Can't go wrong there.

No comments:

Post a Comment