Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Tree of Life (2011)

The Tree of Life (2011)

Directed by: Terrence Malick
Screenplay by: Terrence Malick

Genre: Drama
Running Time: 139 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

[IMDb]






Comments: I don't think I've ever seen a film like The Tree of Life. It's absolutely fascinating (although maybe a little too fascinating at times), and I often found myself in awe of what I was watching onscreen. That isn't to say there's no fault to be found in the film, because there's some issues (at least to me), but on a whole The Tree of Life is simply breathtaking.

- The cinematography of the film is outstanding (I'm starting to run out of good adjectives to use). Malick's vision shines through, and I was enthralled by the images that populated my screen for two hours. His portrait of the 1960s was so real and alive, while at the same time making me nostalgic for my youth, yearning for the simpler days. That's quite the feat.

- I have no idea why Sean Penn was in this film. I could easily see all his scenes being cut out and the film taking place entirely in the 1960s. He added nothing to the experience of The Tree of Life for me.

- Normally, I would have watched the Oscars tonight, but I always get bored by them. This year, I especially wasn't thrilled with who was nominated (seriously, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close for Best Picture?), so I decided to spend my time elsewhere. It was totally worth it.

- Like I mentioned at the start, The Tree of Life is different from anything I've watched before. It's a little messy at times, but the movie is an unforgettable experience. Highly, highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment