Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Serbian Film (2010)

A Serbian Film (2011)

Directed by: Srdjan Spasojevic
Screenplay by: Aleksandar Radivojevic and Srdjan Spasojevic

Genre: Crime | Drama | Horror | Thriller
Running Time: 102 Minutes
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

Not all films have a happy ending.

[IMDb]




Comments: When any horror/exploitation movie creates a controversy over its subject matter, I'm almost always interested. For me, the crazier the better, and A Serbian Film certainly falls under the crazy category. I'd heard what the offending scene was, but I had no idea as to its context within the film. The US Blu-ray, while more complete than many international cuts of the film, is still not the full film. Two scenes have been edited for the release (although it's easy to pick out which scenes they are), but for the most part it doesn't hinder the viewer's experience. Sure, the final scene isn't presented 100% clearly, but anyone with half a brain can figure out who's who (I'm trying to be spoiler free here). Anyway, I found A Serbian Film to be more interesting due to wondering how fucked up the next scene was going to be rather than caring about the outcome of any of the characters. It's well made and well directed, but I can't say I was completely blown away by the experience. Unfortunately, A Serbian Film feels a little more shock than substance; at times shock is all I need, but it didn't fully work for me in this case. Still, it's an interesting viewing experience, so I recommend it for that reason alone.

Also Known As: Srpski Film

No comments:

Post a Comment