Monday, February 20, 2012

The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence) (2011)

The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence) (2011)

Directed by: Tom Six
Screenplay by: Tom Six

Genre: Horror
Running Time: 91 Minutes
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

100% medically inaccurate.

[IMDb]




Comments: Well, shit. What can I say? I enjoyed The Human Centipede - the original film - for what it was: a horror film meant to shock people. It didn't really shock me, nor did it do much for me beyond ninety minutes of so-so entertainment and general silliness.

I didn't know much about The Human Centipede II when I found out that it was being released, but I was sure that I'd buy it as soon as it came out (which I did). Now that I've watched the film, I'm glad that I picked it up - it's a much better film that's very different from its predecessor.

Oh, and it's way more sick and graphic too, which I loved.

The Human Centipede II is a very "meta" film, as we see the end of the first Centipede in the opening seconds, only to pan out and see Laurence R. Harvey watching it on his laptop. Harvey is a grotesque, mentally challenged man obsessed with The Human Centipede. He works the night shift in a parking garage, attacking pedestrians on the way to their cars in the hopes of creating his masterpiece: a twelve-person human centipede.

I loved Laurence R. Harvey in this film. He never says one word throughout, but he has great facial expressions to go along with his odd body shape - all of which makes him effectively creepy. This is Harvey's first film; I could easily see him becoming a genre star (you know, the kind that are in twenty-plus D-grade horror films a year). Ashlynn Yennie returns as well from the first film, this time as herself. Let's just say she doesn't fare much better than her character did originally.

For the most part, The Human Centipede II is a completely different film from the original. And because of that, I liked it a lot more. It's a nastier, dirtier experience, and one that all of people who watch this only because of the first film's popularity will run screaming away from. For that, I applaud Tom Six.

No comments:

Post a Comment