Sunday, February 5, 2012

Out of Sight (1998)

Out of Sight (1998)

Directed by: Steven Soderbergh
Screenplay by: Scott Frank

Genre: Action | Comedy | Crime | Romance | Thriller
Running Time: 123 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

Opposites attract.

[IMDb]




Comments: Man, this movie takes me back. I hadn't though of Jennifer Lopez circa 1998 in awhile, but I used to love her back in the day. Not in a musical or film manner, mind you, but a strictly physical manner ('dat ass...). It's funny, because I can't fucking stand the woman now, and I hate when she (and her terrible acting) ruins movies that I'd otherwise enjoyed (An Unfinished Life might be the only film I'm referencing here, but you get the picture).

Anyway, I watched Out of Sight when it first came out on VHS back in the day, and I really wasn't a fan. Granted, I was 13 or 14 at the time, so my opinions in no way were valid back then. I'd heard various outlets praise the film in recent years, so I had hoped to pick up the Blu-ray when it was first released in March of last year. That never happened, but last night I found it at Best Buy and decided to give 'er a spin.

...And I still am not a huge fan of the film. I find myself to be rather hit-or-miss with Soderbergh's offerings, though I generally find something I like about each film. There are parts of Out of Sight I really enjoy, but as a whole, the movie didn't work for me. If the script was tweaked a bit, and maybe 20 minutes or so were cut out, I think we'd have had a better film overall. Still, there's plenty to enjoy here, so it's not all complaints from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment