Saturday, October 1, 2011

50/50 (2011)

50/50 (2011)

Directed by: Jonathan Levine
Screenplay by: Will Reiser

Genre: Comedy | Drama
Running Time: 99 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Theater

It takes a pair to beat the odds.

[IMDb]




Comments: Once October 1st rolls around, I normally dive into a month-long horror bender. It's one of my favorite times of the year. However, this year I'm in my hometown and busy, so the annual horror-fest is going to have to wait until next weekend. Instead, I got a chance to go see Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogen in the new buddy-cancer-comedy (is that PC?), 50/50.

- This film is JGL's through-and-through. I know Rogen is featured in most of the ads (as he is the biggest star), but he doesn't play much of a role until the final act. JGL is great, and his character is so wonderfully executed, particularly during the dramatic moments.

- Anna Kendrick is slowly becoming one of my favorite actresses. I loved her in Up in the Air, and she continues to impress in 50/50. She may not be the most attractive woman in the world, but she definitely has this I-could-spend-the-rest-of-my-life-with-you-and-all-your-cuteness aspect about her. Or maybe that's just apparent to me. Either way, she's awesome.

- Seth Rogen was... Seth Rogen. His shtick is slowly wearing on me, and he's going to need to have a few different roles soon. Rogen has some great moments (I really enjoyed the scenes with him, JGL, and Bryce Dallas Howard), but he is the exact same character in every movie he's in.

- The last act of 50/50 was excellent. The pacing and fluidity was off at times early on, but the final act was worth the price of admission. I have no problem admitting that I cried like a bitch during JGL's scene in the Jeep. It was wonderful.

- If you're at all a fan of the Apatow-style of films, 50/50 will be right up your alley. It's a great film that successfully balances the funny and dramatic. I really wanted to see Dream House as well this weekend, but I'm so glad I spent my time here. It was totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment