Friday, October 14, 2011

Hesher (2010)

Hesher (2010)

Directed by: Spencer Susser
Screenplay by: Spencer Susser and David Michôd

Genre: Drama
Running Time: 106 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Rental DVD - Family Video

Sometimes life gives you the finger and sometimes it gives you...

[IMDb]




Comments: I had wanted to see Hesher for some time now, but the damn Blu-ray has been so expensive since it came out that I never got around to buying it. So tonight, I decided to rent the fucker, and I'm really glad I did. This is a great, albeit a little crazy, film.

- I was really worried I had figured Hesher out early on and not in a good way. Early on in the film, the way Hesher (played marvelously - as if there was any doubt - by Joseph Gordon-Levitt) interacts with the main character TJ, it's as if Hesher is a figment of his imagination to help him deal with the death of his mother. I really hoped this wasn't what was happening, because it would have made for a terrible film. Slowly, Hesher starts to interact more with the rest of the cast and I realized I was mistaken with my initial worries. That idea had nothing to do with the film, which is why I'm bringing it up. Maybe I'm not the only one who noticed that?

- I really, really like Rainn Wilson. Sure, everyone knows him as Dwight, but his roles lately in films like Hesher and Super have really piqued my interest in what he'll do once The Office ends. Sure, his only leading Hollywood vehicle The Rocker tanked pretty horribly, but if he builds up a resume of films like those, there's no telling what he'll go on to accomplish.

- Natalie Portman was solid as always in her supporting role. Her character is a little off, but it generally plays well in the overall bizarreness of Hesher. Plus, she's cute as hell even with those terrible glasses, so I didn't really give a fuck what her character was like.

- Hesher is a strange film, but goddammit if it doesn't work. It's pretty funny at times, really sad at others, and there's that great "what the fuck?" element with the random things Hesher does that help keeps the film fresh and interesting. Definitely recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment