Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Thing (2011)

The Thing (2011)

Directed by: Matthijs van Heijningen Jr.
Screenplay by: Eric Heisserer

Genre: Horror | Mystery | Sci-Fi | Thriller
Running Time: 103 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Theater

It's not human. Yet.

[IMDb]




Comments: I really wish I would have watched John Carpenter's classic film before taking in the prequel. It's been a few years since I've seen The Thing, so I really can't compare the two plotlines because I don't remember much. I can tell you that the end of this film syncs up perfectly with the beginning of Carpenter's, but that's about it. As for the film itself, The Thing was an entertaining Saturday evening excursion, but not much more. It lacks a lot of the suspense and atmosphere that made the original great. The effects were pretty cool, the acting was alright, but there's really nothing that stood out or made The Thing memorable. It'll make a good rental for a nice wintry night double-feature with Carpenter's version, but that's about as much of a recommendation as I can give.

EDIT: Apparently, I watched John Carpenter's The Thing about a year-and-a-half ago, but I'm also an idiot and forget things easily. I could've sworn it was longer than that, but whatever.

EDIT, Part Deux: After re-watching Carpenter's version, it's really neat how everything about the 2011 version tied into it. The ax in the wall that Kurt Russell looks at when exploring the Norwegian camp? It was put there toward the end of this film. Matthijs van Heijningen Jr.'s attention to detail is really cool, in an era where continuity doesn't always mean shit to writers and directors.

No comments:

Post a Comment