Saturday, October 22, 2011

Paranormal Activity 3 (2011)

Paranormal Activity 3 (2011)

Directed by: Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman
Screenplay by: Christopher B. Landon

Genre: Horror
Running Time: 85 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Theater

It runs in the family.

[IMDb]




Comments: I read about movies fairly often, so when something comes out, I tend to know a bit about it. For Paranormal Activity 3, I didn't give a shit, and just assumed it was some random ass people like Oren Peli, who made the first film. Then, as I made this post before I left for the theaters, I listed the directors. Henry Joost. Ariel Schulman. Fuck, I know these names. Let me click over to their page and... Catfish?! The guys that made Catfish (a film I did enjoy, real of fake) were hired to direct Paranormal Activity 3? That just seems so weird.

Paranormal Activity 3 was a bit of a letdown. I didn't have high expectations, but I was hoping for something entertaining (which this was, to a degree). My main issue was with how the characters behaved and acted, as on many occasions they only served to further the plot. There's a shitload a visual evidence that would have me getting the fuck out of that house midway through the film, but these characters are content to just keep on chillin'. On thing that I tried to ignore in the first two films that annoyed me here, particularly during the finale, was the main character holding the camera when his family was in danger. Seriously? PUT THE FUCKING CAMERA DOWN AND SAVE YOUR FUCKING FAMILY. I was able to make excuses early on in the series; I'm starting to run out now. Also, the idea behind the ending itself was interesting; however, the execution left me less than impressed.

Paranormal Activity 3 is another one of my great "solid rental for a rainy Friday night" movies. The premise is wearing a bit thin, but it was enjoyable enough. The "scares" are generally well done but nothing I haven't seen before. I like that the writers have kept a continuity between the films, but it's definitely getting to the point where another movie based on the same people would be really pushing the boundaries of belief (look, I realize I'm talking about Paranormal Activity 3). But for what it is, PA3 is fun and a solid rental for a rainy weekend night.

No comments:

Post a Comment