Saturday, October 8, 2011

Piranha (2010)

Piranha (2010)

Directed by: Alexandre Aja
Screenplay by: Pete Goldfinger and Josh Stolberg

Genre: Action | Horror | Sci-Fi | Thriller
Running Time: 88 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Viewed: Owned Blu-ray

There's something in the water.

[IMDb]




Comments: It's been over a year since I originally watched Piranha, and while I enjoyed it a bit more this time, my thoughts remained generally the same. Because I'm a lazy shithead, and because I want to watch Stake Land, here's my original review:

Alexandre Aja was a horror director on the rise. After his very highly-praised High Tension, Aja directed the solid Hills Have Eyes remake. But after the disappointing and very mediocre Mirrors, Aja decided on another remake, this time of Joe Dante's Piranha. The film's been received well and I was looking forward to it. But as it turns out, I wasn't that impressed. Sure, there's a lot of violence and nudity (which is always a plus!), but it just felt like Aja was trying too hard to make it a "B" movie. There were a few awesome moments (like when Ving Rhames took the propeller off of a boat and used it as a weapon against the piranha), but there were so many goofy moments as well (the entire end of the film made me dumber). There's a surprising amount of recognizable people in the film, but for the most part the acting's awful (the plethora of cheesy dialogue certainly didn't help). Piranha is a fun movie and I enjoyed myself, but Aja tries way too hard to make a cult classic out of a mostly Hollywood-esque horror film. Better luck next time, Alexandre (which will be next year, for Piranha 2).

So, quick side note: I made a few small grammatical changes to the original review. I'm a shitty writer, what can I say? Also, there will be a sequel out this year entitled Piranha 3DD, but Aja is not attached. The actors returning include Ving Rhames and Christopher Lloyd, and they're joined by... yes, Gary Busey and David Hasselhoff (playing himself). Odds that The Hoff gets eaten?

No comments:

Post a Comment